"My artwork is influenced by the traditions, religion and symbology of the Kongo region of Central Africa and the rich cultural heritage that emerges from the African Diaspora and the creolization process. The art becomes an interpretation of the heritage of my slave ancestors as I strive to attain a connection with their legacy and the diffusion of their roots..


In my recent work, “Touching the Spirits,” I find inspiration in Mbuti design, symbols and body art. In this series, I am reviving portraits. I use bright colors and layers of texture to reflect the soul. Symbols and shapes greet us along the road like ancestors, while diverse objects help us to reach for and touch our beliefs and traditions. The deep contrast and fantastic ornamentation represent the journey of hope as we pursue optimism at the sacred core of the African tradition."

Rafael Arzuaga